The Tyler Public Library has established a Wi-Fi hotspot and tablet lending program to provide patrons in our community with high-speed internet access.
- Wi-Fi hotspots or Tablets may be borrowed by Tyler Public Library cardholders ages 16 and above with library cards in good standing for six months before checkout (i.e., your library card is not blocked due to unpaid fines or lost material). Anyone under the age of 18 must have a parent signature to check out the device.
- A tablet or hotspot borrowing agreement must be signed before use of the device.
- The tablets and hotspots may be checked out for a 14-day loan with no renewals. Failure to return the device on time will result in a $1 fine per day.
- To checkout a tablet or a hotspot, the device must be placed on hold by the patron. The hold allows staff to prepare the device for checkout. The library will contact you when the device is ready. The device can be picked up at the Library circulation desk.
- Due to the limited number of devices, there is a limit of one device per family at a time.
- No food or drinks are to be consumed around the tablets or hotspots.
- Do not leave the device unattended at any time.
- The device must be returned to a library staff member at the Circulation Desk in the same condition in which it was received. Staff will inspect the equipment carefully and call attention to any suspected damage or missing parts. The patron must be present when the device is being checked in. The device may not be placed in the book drop. Be certain that a staff member acknowledges the return of the equipment.
- It is the patron’s responsibility to bring to the attention of a library staff member any loss or possible damage to the device that happens during the time it is checked out to them.
- If the device is lost or damaged beyond repair, the patron will be responsible for all replacement fees.
- Any data saved on a library device may be erased when the device has been returned to the public service desk, and the library is not responsible for any information left on a device by the user. Users using their own 3rd party app vendor accounts are responsible for any costs associated with downloading and should not expect anything downloaded to remain on the library device.
- Tyler Public Library is not responsible for any content viewed. By checking out a device, the patron agrees they will not engage in illegal activities and are responsible for any misuse or damages made to the device. The library is not responsible for loss or damage to a patron’s data for any reason while the patron uses a library device.
- Three (3) late returns for any device checkout will result in being permanently banned from borrowing all devices.
All policies will be reviewed annually by staff, and significant changes will be brought to the Library Board.
Tablet & Hotspot Policy PDF with Borrowing Agreement