The Tyler Public Library offers test-proctoring services to the public, by appointment only, for a $10 fee per test. Students must verify that the following conditions are acceptable to the institution giving the test before having an exam sent to the Tyler Public Library. If this policy does not meet the student’s needs, the student should contact the educational institution that is administering the test for other proctor recommendations.
- The library will proctor written, e-mailed or on-line exams. Tests sent via fax machine will not be accepted, nor will tests be returned via fax. Any costs for printing will be charged at the current rate per page.
- Hours available for proctoring at the Information Desk vary. Proctoring service is not available on weekends.
- If the exam is written, it will be the student’s responsibility to obtain needed signatures and arrange for the exam to be delivered to the library. The proctor will contact the student when the test has arrived. However, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to verify receipt of the test. The Reference Librarian will schedule the date and time for the student to take the exam only after the test arrives at the library.
- The student will allow sufficient time to take the examination before the deadline that has been established by the institution or association. Tests must be completed 15 minutes before the library closes.
- The student will be required to present a picture ID before taking the exam and provide a copy of the ID if required by the institution or association. Students are expected to come prepared with the necessary or required supplies to take the examination.
- Proctors will not monitor a student continuously during an exam but may check on the student periodically. The library cannot provide a locked or secure place for the test, nor a quiet study room. Proctors will enforce any time limits that are placed on the exam as well as other rules set forth in the examination materials. Using cell phones or visiting with others is prohibited.
- At the conclusion of a written exam, the exam will be returned directly to the testing institution via the U.S. Postal Service at the next regularly scheduled postal pickup from the library. The student is responsible for postage costs. Exams will not be returned via UPS or FedEx.
- The library will hold tests for sixty days or the test’s stated deadline. If the student does not pick up the test by that time, the test will be destroyed. Library staff will not copy finished exams nor hold exams past the date they are taken.
- The test proctor will not sign a proctoring verification that attests to more than he or she has been able to do.
- The Tyler Public Library will not be responsible for any delayed tests nor for any completed tests once they leave the library’s possession and have been mailed back to the educational institution or association.
All policies will be reviewed annually by staff, and significant changes will be brought to the Library Board.
Test Proctoring Policy PDF